The 12th century Liber Eliensis (History of Ely) talks of an important Minster being served by a community of monks in the early 800’s. Over the centuries the Church has undergone many alterations and many periods of neglect.
In 1214/15 the Bishop of Ely gave the church, the rectory and consequently much of the land in the village to the Hospital of St John – later becoming St John’s College, Cambridge.
The last major alteration was carried out by the architect Thomas Jeckyll in the 1860’s. The last period of neglect was in the middle of the 20th Century when the churchyard was overgrown with brambles climbing into the Church. Since the late 1970’s the Church has been restored once again and is a “living building” with electricity, toilets and a servery.
Over the years the Church has received grants from English Heritage, the National Churches Trust and Cambridgeshire Historic Churches Trust to repair the tower, roof and windows. The Friends of Horningsea Church organise regular fund raising events to enable repairs and improvements to be carried out.
In 2014/15 the village celebrated 800 years of association with St John’s College. With the aid of a “Sharing Heritage” Lottery grant the village made a film of the history of the village.
The parish is linked with the adjoining parishes of Fen Ditton and Teversham.
Our Vicar is the Revd Dr Alun Ford Tel 01223 29 59 27 or E: parishesthree (at) gmail.com
Services are held at Horningsea almost every week:
At 9 am on the first and third Sundays (Holy Communion) and
At 11 am on the 2nd /4th Sunday of each month (Morning Worship).
NB: on the last Sunday (4th or 5th Sunday) a Joint Parishes service takes place at one of the three Churches in rotation.
As well as regular weekly Services, other Services and events during the year include a Harvest Service and a Candlelit Carol Service.
The Church is used as a venue for concerts and exhibitions, most recently for Venice: Vision and Voice in October 2017.
The three Churches produce the monthly ‘New Life’ magazine, which costs £4 annually. Contact the Editor on newlife.editor (at) gmail.com
The church is generally locked during the day but will gladly be opened on request (below)
Priest in charge Revd Dr Alun Ford Tel: 01223 29 59 27 or E: parishesthree (at) gmail.com
Jennie Pratt Tel: 01223 86 45 13 or E: japov7 (at) googlemail.com
For the building or the bells contact: Andy Clarke (PCC Secretary)
Tel: 01223 86 13 14 or E: andy.clarke (at) tesco.net