Report on September’s Heritage Open Day

Heritage Open Day in St Peter’s Church – September 2016

The two themes were Horningsea in Shakespeare’s Day and Horningsea in 1766. A map of the village identified the houses that would have been standing in both those years. Visitors were surprised to see how old some of the houses were – we know that St Johns farm house was built before 1599, we know that the Bishop of Ely had given 100 shillings to build a vicarage in 1267! It was very interesting to hear from those who live in the old houses about their history. It was also fun to hear the chosen readings from Shakespeare.

The children searched the churchyard for teddies (pretending to be hedgehogs and polecats!). The bellringers demonstrated to potential recruits and quantities of tea and cakes were consumed! The afternoon concluded with Bishop David coming to present an award for the community use of the church.

A big thanks to everyone who took part.

Next year’s theme will be the Coprolite Miners’ March. Speak to Lindsay or Dave if you would like to take part – the more the merrier!

This entry was posted in Horningsea. Bookmark the permalink.